The History of the Belmont Presbyterian Church
The Alexander Thomson Uniting Church
1 July 1923 First worship service conducted in the home of Mr. J. Banks of 63 High Street, Belmont. Later services held in the Shire Hall.
22 October 1923 Belmont Presbyterian officially declared a Congregation.
Early 1924 Block of land in Mt. Pleasant Road bequeathed by Mrs Margaret Mickle (nee Lyall), sold with view to purchasing other land.
24 June 1924 Approval to purchase two blocks of land in Thomson Street.
27 February 1926 Belmont Presbyterian Church opened and dedicated by Rev. C. Neville, Minister of St. Davids.
25 August 1926 The first Minister, Rev. W.J. Murray, appointed to the congregation.
11 March 1929 Kindergarten Room at rear of church opened.
30 November 1932 Rev. W.J. Murray retired, his home in 204 High Street continues to be used as the first manse.
May 1939 Kindergarten Room enlarged for use as a Sunday School.
5 February 1941 Additional block of land in Thomson Street purchased.
11 February 1941 The High Street manse gifted to the congregation, dedicated 12 July 1941. An Army Hut was purchased to house the growing Sunday School
13 September 1953 The Moderator, Rev. W.W. Alston, dedicated the extensions to the church (addition of north and south wing).
12 October 1958 Foundation stone for Sunday School and Day Kindergarten laid by the minister, Rev. M.J.L. Griffiths.
22 February 1959 Sunday School and Day Kindergarten opened and dedicated by the minister, Rev. M.J.L. Griffiths.
19 October 1961 The residence on the corner of Shackleton and Thomson Streets gifted to the congregation. (Gift by anonymous member). The property was used for some time for the ‘Bring out a Briton’ campaign.
16 April 1964 Residence at 22 Amundsen Street, Belmont, donated from the estate of Mrs A. McLean for use as a manse.
19 September 1965 Foundation stone for the new church laid by the minister Rev. C.W. McLeod.
Follow this link, to see photo images of the building of the new Church.
20 February 1966
Final service held in ‘old’ church at 10am. New church opened and and dedicated at a service at 2.30pm buy the Moderator, Rt. Rev. A.M. Dickie.
Old church brick veneered and re-roofed.
Click here to see some faces you may recognise in the BPC committees during the 1973 50th birthday
21 September 1975
Belmont Presbyterian Church re-named the Alexander Thomson Presbyterian Church.
22 June 1977
Alexander Thomson Presbyterian Church becomes part of the Uniting Church of Australia as the Alexander Thomson Uniting Church.
21 November 1982
Manse at 8 Peary Street purchased.
19 March 1990
Peary Street manse sold and funds invested with the UCA. Portion of these funds used to finance the etension of 2000-20001.