The History of the Belmont Methodist Church
First Methodist Church service in Belmont held in the home of Mr. Caldwell
3 May 1891
First service held in the new church built in High Street – south of Mt. Pleasant Road.
Rev. J. Henry Dabb appointed as the first minister to the congregation
8 November 1914
Kindergarten Hall commenced on High Street site and occupied early 1915
7 December 1914
Land purchased on the corner of Regent and Church streets. (Cost of purchase donated by Mr. Godfrey Hirst.)
18 December 1918
House purchased on the corner of Regent and Thomson Streets for use as a parsonage.
12 February 1922
First church service conducted on the Regent Street site in the church building relocated from High Street.
30 August 1925
New Kindergarten Hall and Guild Room dedicated. (Cost of purchase donated by Mrs. Godfrey Hirst.)
Additional land purchased in Church Street.
17 November 1945
Building purchased to house the Primary Department of the Sunday School.
27 March 1954
Foundation stone of the new church laid by the Rev. C.F. McRae.
19 November 1955
New church opened and dedicated by Rev. C.F. McRae at a service at 3pm.
29 April 1961
Foundation stone for Hall and Sunday School laid by Rev. E.H. Vertigan
22 October 1961
Hall and Sunday School complex opened and dedicated by the president of the Methodist Conference, the Rev. S. Weekes.
Youth Centre and Tennis Clubrooms extension completed.
Internal Toilet block added to the rear of the hall.
22 June 1977
Belmont Methodist Church becomes part of the Uniting Church in Australia as the Belmont Uniting Church.
22 November 1981
New manse on the original site opened and dedicated.
3 May 1991
Celebration of 100 years of Christian witness at the Regent Street site.
Regent Street property sold to the Ancient and Free Order of Masons. Funds used for the re-development of the Thomson Street site.
29 August 1999
Final Service of Thanksgiving, celebrating the years of Witness to God and his Ministry of love in Belmont.